Affiliate marketing is probably one of the easiest business models to get into. And it requires very little in terms of investment, if any. But before we get into that in more detail let’s have a look at the benefits being an affiliate will give you:
- You become your own boss, working from home in your own time in a way that fits best with your life.
- You do not need to have your own products or services to sell.
- Most affiliate programmes can be joined free and only take a few minutes to register with.
- As an affiliate you do not have to deal with any customers, customer support or order packing and shipping. This is all taken care of by the merchant you affiliate with.
- Probably one of the lowest risk business options with virtually no costs to you to set up.
- You are free to work from almost anywhere, as long as you have access to the internet.
- Easy to learn and implement. Most affiliate programmes even offer you free support and guidance of how to get the best out of their merchant programmes.
I am sure that there is no easier business model in the world you can utilise to make residual income online.
But this coin has a flip-side too. Affiliate marketing should never be seen as a ‘get rich quick’ scheme. Becoming successful at affiliate marketing will require a lot of hard work, especially if you are just starting out. Think like this – You created a great blog with great affiliate links, but no-one knows about it… No visitors to your blog equals no potential customers, equals no sales!
Affiliate marketing is also highly competitive. As a newcomer you are behind your competition, requiring you to learn fast and a strong stamina to keep going. Your determination will help you to succeed. Many people have tried and failed with this business model, and it usually was down to the fact they did not perservere, being closer to the goal than they thought, yet still ‘walking’ away from the goal…
In a nutshell it is important for you to realise that being an affiliate marketer is the same as running any other business. You must run it professionally and with realistic goals in mind. A positive mindset it can be said does help along the rocky path. I am in no way trying to disuade you from affiliate marketing, but rather want you to promise to yourself that you will succeed in this competitive world.
But where do you start?
As the absolute basic – you should have a website. There are a few affiliate programmes around which do not require you to have your own site, but this would fall into a completely different playing field, well beyond the scope of this blog.
How to go about getting a website?
- Building your own
Actually it’s so easy to set up your own site. You don’t need any specialist or technical knowledge to get started. A domain name and hosting is the basic requirement for your own site.
- You can buy an existing affiliate website
While this may seem an easy option, do remember that unless you are very experienced in webdesign, you may be paying for an affiliate website where the affiliate links may be hidden and still link back to the original site owner, only for him/her to collect the commissions without your knowledge. In the worst instance the site could have hidden malicious code which potentially could compromise not just your own but your visitor’s computers too. This will in turn be very bad for your reputation…
- If you have money to burn and very little time…
you could opt to have a site being built for you. Totally customised in content and design and totally expensive too…
Let’s stick with the ‘Do it Yourself’ route though. Not only for simplicity, but also because I want you to improve your skills for the future. If you do need some more training and guidance to get you started there are a selection of excellent affiliate courses for aspiring marketers out there.
One name that really stands out is Rosalind Gardner. She has earned her reputation as one of the most successful internet marketers by not only talking the talk but by walking the walk. She has created a membership programme for those people new to internet marketing and who may need a helping hand to get started.
For other great affiliate training courses to get you started, click here.